One day, D decided that he will make something "special" for dinner. So off he went to the store with Mom and came home with pork! I love pork, it taste good! :)
And later that day, there was D in the kitchen cutting up the pork and started making his "special" dish. I was standing by the end of the counter watching, well coz I don't really think he can cook.... LOL!! I saw him heat up some oil in the wok, put the pork in and throw sugar on it. And that's it! He mix up what's in the wok, stirring occasional till the pork is done, and tah-dah ------ Sugar Pork (he said)!
I think back often to that day and wanted to thank D for the inspiration on this dish, because this is now 1 of my hubby's favorites and I make it quite often (well, with a few tweaks).
Ingredients are simple, but the trick to the way my hubby likes it is to make sure it is marinade well and have enough sugary sauce in the end for him to add over rice.
Ingredients: (Cooke time: 1/2 hour)
1-2 lbs boneless pork ribs (or bone-in if you prefer)
Soy sauce, black/white pepper, sesame oil (read below)
Sugar (3/4cup to 1 cup)
Cut pork ribs up to slightly bigger than bite size, they shrunk quite a bit after cooked. You can trim away the extra fat, or leave it. I like pork fat, so I usually leave a little on it and pick those out for myself (shhh....). Marinade with enough soy sauce, pepper powder and sesame oil. I have to apologize here, as I have no idea how much I put in. I want to about 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce (enough to make the pork slightly salty) and 1 tablespoon sesame oil (not too much on this, it is more for the flavor and not the grease), and sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder on top. Mix the ingredients well and let it marinade overnight, or 2 nights.
Cooking it is easy and simple. Heat pan up with a little oil (about 1 tablespoon). Put pork pieces in and brown all sides, on medium heat. Don't over-cooked it, coz you will be cooking it more after sugar is added. Then, put about 3/4 - 1 cup of sugar in it and stir, stir, stir. Stir till all the sugar is melted and coated the pork, let the sugary liquid come to a bubbly boil and bring heat down to medium-low or low. Let it simmer in a soft bubbly boil. You don't want the pan to be too hot, or the sugar will burn very quickly. Burnt sugar are not very tasty... Stir occasionally (every 3-5 minutes) until sugar thickens and turn a dark shiny brown.
See the pork pieces are rather big, they shrunk quite a bit after cooked. So don't worry if they are bigger than bite size.
Bubbly boil; soft bubbly boil; Done!
And that is it! Sugar Pork! Cook time for me is usually about 30 minutes from the minute the pork hits the pan. So I usually start rice and veggies after I throw the pork in. Dinner in 30 minutes, who doesn't love that?
After thought. I always wanted to try putting some vinegar in it to make sugar-vigenar pork ribs.

No comments:
Post a Comment